Thursday, January 27, 2011

Subterranean Homesick Songs

With all the small side-mentions this week on Bob Dylan's 1965 piece "Subterranean Homesick Blues," I was thinking about Radiohead's 1996 song "Subterranean Homesick Alien," whose title is very likely a reference to the former.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of Dylan's piece, but there is certainly much instrumentation and interesting bluesy riffs. I do also see in it artistic poetry, with short phrases but read with flow. I wonder if he is commemorating art itself, and perhaps those on the outskirts or underground of society. This would be supported by Radiohead's song, in which "alien," on a literal level, refers to extraterrestrials, but perhaps could be a metaphor for the misunderstood, autonomous artist ("I'd show [my friends] the stars and the meaning of life / They'd shut me away"). Another notable and rather relevant aspect of Radiohead's piece is the unnatural, almost psychedelic effects, like some reverb and bending. I'd be interested in hearing more interpretations of the two songs.

Here is Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues":


Here is Radiohead's "Subterranean Homesick Alien":

No comments:

Post a Comment